Tuesday 19 January 2016

The Gentle, Just and Righteous One

 It's sweltering here where we live, El Nino is taking his toll. The warm air lifting up its heavy fist and pounding it in to this tip of Africa. Things are dying, fire is eating at vegetation and its hot, oh so very hot. The heat confounds, makes me bump in to things even though I am well hydrated beneath a hot air circulating fan. Not a Summer person but here I am, confounded by heat's marked presence - the sun is straining up there, feeling bad at its tempest shining. It knows we are sweltering, burning beneath its waves, she feels bad up there. You can see it on her face, but I still manage to smile, wink and say thank you that my washing basket is now empty. Only thirty minutes to dry the bedding.

We drove to the grocery store just a few supplies and as we pulled up one of my favourite birds, black and orange was perched on a low pipe. The pipe was dripping and the bird was gaping, opening and closing its mouth, sucking in all the air its tiny lungs could grab. Then she hopped and shifted places, a friend of hers jumped down and took her place on the pipe. Bending over she began to drink and as I strained my eyes to see, little drops of cool, sweet water trickled from the finger pipe and that bird did drink, freely. It was such a precious sight to see these birds hopping, changing positions, sharing free water in the summer heat, clever little angels. There's something about unexpected sights that seem to stir the heart to peace, to wonder. Something so precious in unexpected wonders that stir the heart to believe even if it's carrying weight of wheeze. The God of Wonderful surprises.

A single photo to my phone, a ring, a tissue and something too big to describe. Did they get engaged after 14 years? Did my brother finally propose to this woman who has persevered through all his reservations and wedding - no's! Yes they did and tears filled my eyes, the God of wonders, of ecstatic miracles.

A heavy, shiny wooden bench, we shifted our weight outside the office door, beside the man with the broken shoe. Do you think we got it? my husband asked. Sure, I smiled trying to hang on to belief as its thread dangled in the wind that tried to tear it apart. Our turn. We smiled at the clerk and took our seats, he carefully handed over our forms. Court date end Feb, protection order granted, HalleluYah!
The Strong God, the Just King.

Cool water, swirling leaves, we dip our bodies beneath the shedding tree. Casual conversation, my eyes with tears, so much burden but shared beneath the wilting leaves. Lighter, cooelr in the shade, where the squirrels dance and the doves coo. The sun begins to dip and evening shade brings us to this place where it is cooler, and peaceful. The God who brings friendship.

My life is wrapped up, held up by the Everlasting Arms. Arms raised up by the Strong God, the God of Peace, the Righteous Judge, the Great I am. A single smile from the heart praises to God, the God of Happiness....

Sharing with small wonders

No comments:

Post a Comment